About Me

My photo
I am from West Virginia, I am fortunate enough to work in the Motocross industry. I like the Great Outdoors... Bicycles, dirt bikes, hunting , fishing, hiking, camping, and I like pretty girls... a lot!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pit Stop in Kentucky.






So this whole Month I decided to go back to the Roots of American Motocross, and travel to the races on the Semi Truck. I figured it would be a change of Pace to get out of Sun Drenched Phoenix, AZ and hit the road. Only problem is, everywhere else in the Country is Sun Drenched and Humid! I can't escape it.
We left Dallas On Monday, heading to the greatest town ever, Morgantown, WV. We made it to somewhere in Tennessee By Mid night where we would get our sleep for the Night. Upon waking and getting some breakfast we continued on, planning to be at our Destination by Night Fall.
Kentucky however, Had different plans for us. We were heading down the Bluegrass trail, minding our own business, when we started to get hungry for lunch. While we looked for a good exit to stop and eat, I started noticing these strange Brown High way Signs that Called out to my Redneck Soul...

They Read,  Free Whiskey Distillery Tours.  I was intrigued, we found the exit grabbed some subway and Headed to the 2nd oldest whiskey still in America.
Jed and I ended up at Heaven Hill , the home Of the Bourbon Heritage Museum. I have to say I found way more knowledge and information on Whiskey And bourbon than I have gained in the empty bottles of the stuff laying around my house..... Just Kidding kids. Don't drink.
I learned the difference between Moonshine, Whiskey, and Bourbon, though they all come and start off in the same place. How long it takes to age, what percentage of corn, wheat, and Rye go into the mixture. How they Barrel the Bourbon.... It really is educational stuff!

The most impressive part to me was how big their operation was. They have fields full of Huge Tin walled buildings. Each barrel is 500 lbs, each building holds 20.000 Barrels, and they have 47 of these buildings full of Bourbon! Which all adds up to over 3/4 of a million barrels!

Each day they harvest and bottle 300 barrels, as well as replace the same amount of barrels with new ones.

Very impressive.

We didn't get to Morgantown till well after Midnight...

No comments: